« Florida Primary Aftermath | Main | Mr. Excitement McCain? »

January 30, 2008

Amendment 1 Aftermath

The Property Tax Amendment decisively made it through the voting yesterday.  We've had a bit of a debate here at PEER about what the effect will be.  Many worried that this would squelch any chance of getting any further tax relief any time soon.  I was thrilled to hear quotes from both Crist and Marco Rubio before the end of the night saying that this is just the beginning and we've got to continue to push to drive down tax rates.  Rubio is apparently already suggesting plans for the next step.

Folks, don't worry, this issue is not going away.  The only thing we need be concerned with are the democrats who are already saying that we've gotten enough tax relief.

Let's move onto the next stage of this battle.

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/404188/25625908

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Amendment 1 Aftermath:

Comments

Well, Mr. G, you and I had a discussion previously on A1. I voted against A1, and this was the primary reason why:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/politics/content/state/epaper/2008/01/30/a10a_ELEX_PROP_TAX_ANAL_0130.html

I hope the fight goes on with the impetus to get something done on the matter still in tact, but this story is not encouraging.

And if it turns out we voted in our short-sighted interests rather than our long term goals, this will have been almost a complete waste of time. I will fight on for the 1.35 property tax amendment, I only hope we have the momentum behind us.

I'm for the 1.35 proposal, though we'll have a big fight against conservative-in-name-only Crist and his enablers in the legislature. I've also heard some Democrat legislators putting out feelers for a personal income tax on the basis "it's more fair" i.e. class warfare, which is an extremely dangerous idea that must be vigorously opposed. Of course, it's all irrelevant without constitutional spending limits. California's property tax is only 1%, but municipalities get around that property tax limit by charging $100k+ per parcel for "impact fees". Such high fees make for astronomical housing prices, so although their tax rate is only 1% the tax burden per-house is as high or higher than it is in Florida. That's the whole point, of course: if you can't raise the tax directly, make housing extremely expensive, which raises the tax indirectly.

Right u are, aynrandgirl, these weasely Democrats will periodically float the possibility of the income tax before they crawl back into their caves after doing so. We need a sustained tax revolt here in this state, this can only be the first step, otherwise it's a complete waste- there are just too many loopholes here. These localities have been spending way too much from the most recent tax revenue windfall, showing no discipline at all. We've got to defeat them and the fearmongers who say that if we cut government funding, ambulances will be late, police will be cut, and puppies will die. I hope our side is ready for a sustained fight based on the facts- we've got to keep this state affordable and competitive.

Yea, an income tax will never happen in FL. Anyone who seriously mentions it almost never gets re-elected.

Polling shows that only 15% or so of Florida voters want an income tax. The other 85% dont. For an income tax to pass, it would have to muster 66.7% of the vote.

Not gonna happen, unless every floridian moved out, and all the Massachusetts residents moved in.

I also support the 1.35 amendment.

Post a comment

If you have a TypeKey or TypePad account, please Sign In

Out of State Allies

PRFL Contributors

Syndication

  • Get this widget from Widgetbox

Copyright and Disclaimer